For hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities that rely on having consistently high volumes of clean, sterilized linens on hand, laundering textiles becomes a real budget constraint. These medical facilities are faced with deciding whether to purchase commercial laundry equipment or hire a professional laundry service. Here are some factors to help you decide which option is more cost effective for your business.
True Cost of Commercial Laundry Equipment
The actual cost of owning, operating, and adequately maintaining commercial laundry equipment is often far higher than many facilities realize. The price of commercial washing and drying equipment can range from $150,000 to $450,000, depending on the sophistication of the laundry equipment.
As you make budget considerations, remember that the while the upfront cost of commercial laundry equipment is certainly not cheap, the long-term cost is even more. Beyond the equipment and utility costs, production equipment must be maintained and repaired over the years to keep it running optimally. Also consider the cost of the following internal utilities required to adequately and safely launder your linens:
- Hot water, tempered water, and water softening
- Wastewater treatment
- Steam and compressed air
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)
- Detergents and chemicals
- Fire protection
Benefits of Hiring a Laundry Service
Hiring a laundry service is a more cost effective option for many reasons:
- Laundering is far more convenient: the laundry service delivers fresh, clean linens on a regular basis so you will always have linens available.
- Linens look more professional: professional laundry services adhere to stricter regulations in all parts of their business, so your textiles will be free of stains and uniform in appearance.
- Sanitation standards are higher: quality services will process your healthcare linens using EPA-approved disinfectant, leading to a reduced risk in the spread of infectious disease.
- Easier on your budget: this option requires no need to invest capital expenses on expensive equipment and merchandise. Your linen costs will always be the same, so they will also be easier to budget and monitor.
Find a Reputable Linen Service
Hiring a professional service is more cost effective when compared to both the initial and long-term operating costs of purchasing commercial laundry equipment to use on-site. A reputable linen service ensures that your textiles are always available when you need them and are fully sanitized according to industry standards. Laundry service also eliminates factoring routine maintenance and possible equipment failure into your budget.